Sunday, September 27, 2026

Happily Reading To Them

 I love reading to children. When I was working at a Preschool, I would always enjoy and look forward choosing the book to read to the children at the end of the day. I would always volunteer myself to do that as none of the other extended day teachers seemed to mind. That was one of the parts of the day I actually enjoyed about that job. 

I enjoyed that special moment of coming in as a mystery reader and reading to two of my nephew's and their TK class. 

I always enjoyed picking out books with my nieces and nephews to read. I would look at their library books or peruse through their bookshelves of favorite or classic ones of theirs to read while I was babysitting. This was one of the ways we bonded. 

I remember especially the hard and transitional season of leaving my job at the high school and entering into library science more fully by looking for an internship. Being with children, and spending time with my sister's kids and helping out filled my cup during that growing and rocky time. 

I really enjoy reading books to my young elementary school students! I love the look on their faces, their inquisitiveness. I also love looking for good books, season based are fun, as well as good messages, fun and even better if they're a classic or by a well-known author, (Hello, Tommie De Paola!) 

As I was babysitting yesterday my nephews and niece alongside my mom, I noticed how much bigger and grown up they are becoming. Gone are the days it feels when they were so much smaller and needy and would love to sit down and read with me. 

I did forget to bring some new books to read to them, and the two older boys are more independent now and didn't want to sit down and read a story then and there. (tear) But I did convince the oldest to let me read a chapter in Harry Potter, the book he is reading. He is a speedy and motivated reader, but it was a joy to have him to sit on my lap and let me read to him the series that I used to read (though got into them much older, middle school/high school).

It made me feel nostalgic, but also happy that there have been so many memories of reading to my sweet nieces and nephews at my sister and brother-in-law's homey and beautiful home, but it's not over yet even if they are getting more independent and older. The younger ones still have time, and I'm looking forward to it when the pockets of time come. Books are my happy place, and I am always ready to share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happily Reading To Them

 I love reading to children. When I was working at a Preschool, I would always enjoy and look forward choosing the book to read to the child...