It's been over a month now that I've been back from El Salvador. It was my second time going to this beautiful, tropical, busy, friendly-cultured country. These are just some of the words that I would use to describe this central American country, where my sister and brother-in-law were married.
I noticed a lot more things this time around than I did when I went 10 years ago, which was a much quicker trip. The friendly hospitality, the warmth of people, family and service centered, the hot humidity, thunderstorms and rain at night, delicious food and thirst-quenching fruit drinks.
The pace of life also feels different. It felt pretty exhausting for me with the busyness of the side roads and a lot to look at, people's jobs and livelihoods with fruit stands and other merchandise by a busy road, the heat and always sweating, the roadways can get winding and bumpy and various cars and trucks with people standing on the back of them.
Life also feels simpler. There is less to distract and focus on. In America, we have so many options, choices, and opportunities. Our weather (at least in California) is pretty mild, we have distinct seasons and have an abundance of it feels like everything. Yes, there are blessings and opportunities, but we are also very spoiled.
It's a different perspective seeing how people work, thrive, share, express their time and talents, simply put, a very different culture. You certainly get to know your own culture a lot better when you live in another one. It opens your eyes and you see and appreciate things differently on both sides.
There is more to share and ponder. But this is what I was able to write with my tired brain tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment